Professional Background: I have a background in Behavioral Psychology, Graduate of Goddard College in VT with post Graduate work in the same field; Applied Behavioral Analysis and single case experimental design. Currently I am semi-retired.
- Professionally I work part time as a Corporate Program Director, providing Quality Assurance reviews and systemic system reviews for a local office in CT for Resources for Human Development, where I started in July of 2013. This organization serves people with Developmental Disabilities.
- I have been in the field of Human Services serving people with DD for over 35 years. I was published in 1983 in an International Journal. Special Issue on Sociopolitics, Oxford Press, “Analysis and Intervention in Developmental Disabilities”, 1983. http://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ289807
- I have served on Commissions and Boards, e.g. served for 3 years as Secretary on Executive Board to the CT Council on Independent Living (appointment by the Governor of the State of CT). I also worked for the City of New Haven for close to ten years, as a grant writer, public relations, and Services Coordinator for constituents with disabilities, across disabilities and lifespan. I was the Secretary for seven years on the Republican Town Committee (although I have since changed my Party affiliation)
Aromatherapy Background: I had an interest in herbs, and become introduced to Aromatherapy through my work as a Program Director for Intermediate Care Facilities for Adults with severe Developmental Disabilities. During this time, I also worked as a Consultant Behavioral Analyst for several private non-profit agencies. Essential oils were being considered for use in the Day Program where I worked and began reading. I introduced them within this setting, using empirical based measures for outcomes. Some of my Behavioral Support plans, reviewed by local Peer Review Committees, involved the use of essential oils. I initially took a 30 hour introductory course, before NAHA established curriculum standards. I was a member of NAHA for a couple of years. I enrolled and graduated from the Atlantic Institute of Aromatherapy. I began a small home based business selling blends and private consultations. My area of applications focused mostly on pain management, psychological and energetic effects of the oils.
My AT experience during the five years of business as KB’s Essential Oil Company:
- Presented and sold products at East West Pain Center in Hamden, CT.
- Guest speaker at Southbury CT Training School on use of Aromatherapy with dementia
- Presenter at two La Lech League conferences, and provided a private workshop to Mid-wives
- Contributed to newspaper article on using eo’s for “Winter Blues”
- Presented on the safe use of EO’s at Local Health Food Store “Edge of the Woods” in New Haven, CT and sold products through a number of small stores and outlets in CT
- Presented to a local Garden Club
- AT Vendor at various events in CT
- I am a coauthor of the White Paper on Raindrop Therapy http://www.agoraindex.org/raindrop.html
- Currently I am a Volunteer for the Atlantic Institute of Aromatherapy and have designed the final Summary Report format and provided two reports for the general public, one in 2014 http://aromatherapyunited.org/injury-reports/injury-reports-2014/and one in 2015 http://aromatherapyunited.org/injury-reports/injury-reports-feb-2015/
- I am a Founding Member of AEOTA and served on the initial Advisory Team.
Hobbies and other interests; I am “certified” as a Laughter Yoga Leader; https://www.facebook.com/NewHavenCountyLaughterYoga Reiki (level one); Therapeutic Touch, and initiated into Tibetan Shamanism by Dr. Larry Peters. I am a Manager for Knot A Band. I play rhythm guitar, lead and background vocals, and the advertising, web page and booking. www.knotaband.com on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Knot-a-Band/269183716434922